Saturday 20 December 2014

Christy Cornell What we just witnessed happen with Dr. Laura

Christy Cornell What we just witnessed happen with Dr. Laura is a prime example of how the pitbull propaganda machine works and works so well. 

Dr. Laura's instincts were spot on. She probably didn't know a lot about the pitbull situation, but she likely heard about 
some of the attacks and instinctively felt like there was something really wrong with a domesticated dog breed that consistently attacked innocent humans, killing them. She made an off the cuff comment, not even meaning to target pitbulls and then all HELL breaks loose. She never expected to be attacked in the way she was and it probably shocked her. Dr. Laura probably started to doubt herself after hearing thousands of people tell her she was ignorant, hateful, racist, and completely wrong. PBA went after her sponsors and Dr. Laura, already doubting herself, probably wondered if it worth loosing sponsors over something she may have been mistaken about. If Dr. Laura would have been thoroughly educated about the truth of pitbulls, she may have been able to stand up to the pressure, but it is doubtful she knew what WE know. If only one of us had been able to reach her in time, we could have helped her, we could have given her the tools (information and support) she needed to stand up to the propaganda. 

I remember how I was when I first started speaking out against pitbulls. I wasn't very knowledgeable. I didn't have strong arguments and plenty of times a PBA was able to easily beat me in a debate. It was only after joining these FB groups and watching other pro-BSL people that I became better able to combat the pitbull propaganda. I have learned so much just by listening to everyone pro-BSL debate nutters on FB and on other Internet websites. I am still learning new things almost every day. But, I still have those moments of doubt, briefer as I go along, but I wonder if I am doing the right thing. I love dogs, have always loved them and it is completely unnatural to me to be calling for dog breed's extinction. I don't hate dogs. Deep down, I don't even hate pitbulls, I feel sorry for them. But I love humans above all and these dogs are killing humans at a rate that can't be acceptable for a domesticated animal. Wild animals don't routinely kill people the way that pitbulls commonly do. 

Americans generally love dogs. We are raised watching Disney movies that teach us that all dogs ( and animals in general) are good, heroic friends of mankind. Long ago, the " No bad dogs, only bad owners." mentality was pushed by dog trainers and veterinarians. Eventually that way of thinking was accepted as fact by most animal lovers and not questioned. That worked out ok for the most part back the, but these days so many of the fighting breeds have become trendy pets, so a no bad dogs mentality doesn't work anymore. It's gonna take a long time to reverse our current no bad dog ( and no bad breed) mentality. 

If I ever had to face the harassment that Dr. Laura faced, I hope I could stand up to it, but who knows for sure. I know for sure I couldn't be as strong as some of my fellow BSL advocates. I see the unbelievable amount of harassment that Jeff Borchardt ( and several others) have faced after speaking out about what happened to them. I am amazed by the strength and resolve they have. These are strong people to be able to selflessly endure what they do. They want to prevent others from going thorough the pain they have had to endure. Others would include the ignorant or deceived pitbull owners, their family, friends and anyone their pitbull may encounter. 

In my opinion, we need to remember all this when we try to understand how it is possible that perfectly intelligent people end up owning pitbulls and being supportive of them. This is why I have such sympathy for people whose (formerly) trusted pets/family dogs end up attacking. Those pitbull owners are victims too in a way because they were convinced or cowered into accepting these high risk dogs. They may have had their reservations at first, but of course the propaganda is overwhelming and their common sense based objections are over ridden by the media, friends, and family telling them they are wrong (Get educated!).

No comments:

Post a Comment