Wednesday 12 November 2014

pitbulls, hospitals and lawyers Sue Palen


Well, my friends, it took every ounce of mental strength I had not to blow my cool at the hospital that treated me for my wound when Rocky was killed. I got my records for the day of the attack. Here's out it went:
"The patient was in no pain"- not true. Pain level was 8. I told them that, but I refused pain meds because I am in pain management.
"The patient does not know the dog that bit her"- not true. I may not know the dog, but I know where it lives.
The dog bite report I filed at the hospital is gone. No one knows where it went.
"The parent will bring the child back to the ER if symptoms worsen". What child are they talking about? I do not have any children.
So I spent most of the afternoon trying to get the hospital to ammend their records.
My attorney told me to file another Dog Bite Report with MCACC. They refused to file one because the incident happened too long ago, and I had already filed one even though the report is not in public records.
I asked MCACC what I should do. They said, "call an attorney". I sure am glad I already have one. When I talked to the attorney today, I said, "hopefully I'm not giving Mickey a cellmate".
I STILL MISS YOU ROCKY!!!
LikeLike ·  · 
  • 11 people like this.
  • 12 hrs · Like · 2
  • Lesley Karen Luscombe Puke; what an amateur effort from the hospital admin. Paperwork claiming no pain, and mentioning a child that wasn't there? Sickening nonsense. No excuse for it in this day and age. Letter of complaint concerning admin procedures and incorrect documentation would be winging its way inwards, I'm afraid.

    So sorry, Sue.

    Onwards for Rocky, with love. 
    12 hrs · Like · 4
  • Laurie Anne Do you have any other types of documentation, like photos of your wound and follow-up with primary care doctor? Witnesses? If not, I am afraid the hospitals goof greatly weakens your case. They screwed up, but if you can't get them to fix it, this is a problem. Good luck with this. It's awful they failed you in this extremely important matter.
    12 hrs · Like · 4
  • Carol Miller Been there and done that Sue. My chart records say the chief complaint was "I'm bruised all over" when I clearly stated that I was there for a dog bite report and to assess for a tetanus shot. I was refused the bite report at that time because the physician's assistant did nto think it was his job to fill it out. I had to go over his head to have the form filled out. Due to the number of jurisdictions and poor design of the dog bite form, my report was sent to the wrong place and promptly lost as well. I feel your pain. The county prosecutor refused to charge the pit bull owners for falsifying state records because the bite report had been lost. You can't make this stuff up.
    12 hrs · Like · 4
  • Elsie Delaney Sue when I got my report a few days ago from the hospital, it had so many errors. The one on pain-level basically said I was not in pain. When what I had actually said on BOTH visits was between a 7 and a 10. They mentioned nothing about the bite on my cheek. Said the swelling in my right hand was moderate. When in actuality my index and middle finger were so swollen they looked like they would burst. Said I had full range of motion in those two fingers when the truth was I had almost no movement at all of the entire hand. I still cannot bend the index finger and cannot make a fist. Said I was bitten by a large dog that I did not know. I know the dog, his name and he still lives next door. Said I had no pain any where else. Not true. I told them I could not lift my right arm, my back was excruciating, my knees were bloody, my chest was sore and bruised where the pit bull was on me. I could go on and on with the inconsistencies. AC's report was just as error-ridden. 
    12 hrs · Like · 6
  • Lorena McGovern It's shocking and disheartening to see that supposed professionals can't properly document medical emergencies. No wonder they kill 100,000 Americans every year with medical mistakes.
    11 hrs · Like · 5
  • Sue Palen Lorena, you are absolitely correct. Hospitals are the #1 killer of Americans. No wonder.
    11 hrs · Like · 4
  • Laurie Anne The officer who took a police report got the date wrong, and that could have caused problems for me. Innocent folks like us only find out afterwards that we need to check documentation for accuracy. Not something we"d typically be thinking of during/after a trauma, but these things matter very much in a court case.
    11 hrs · Like · 4
  • Elsie Delaney I agree Lorena. And the head nurse, both visits, knew this pit's owners and was very against the kind of people they are (drugs) and how irresponsible they are. She was really upset that the pit had attacked me and Ricky and was angry that AC didn't do no more than they did. Yet even she didn't make sure that she recorded accurately.
    11 hrs · Like · 2
  • Elsie Delaney Laurie Anne, same with my report. Wrong date on police report and AC report.
    11 hrs · Like · 2
  • Marty Johncox File a HIPAA complaint if the hospital lost your records. They are supposed to be custodians of records and not lose them or improperly disclose them. Wave HIPAA around and they will likely find your missing records.
    11 hrs · Edited · Like · 6
  • Sue Palen I have photos of my hand and photos of the pit owner's gate that still is not fixed. All my disputes are now on file with the hospital.
    11 hrs · Like · 6
  • Lynne Smith It sounds like there were two different attacks that day and they mixed up the reports.
    11 hrs · Like · 2
  • Julia Dolan Green What the heck?? Incompetence 
    11 hrs · Like · 1
  • AJ Ravinsky Keep in mind that nutters can be working in hospitals too.....and probably one of them did the records.
    11 hrs · Like · 6
  • Kelly Reid Walls Sue, what state did the attack occur?
    11 hrs · Like · 2
  • Olivia Wyatt I understand why it took you time to deal with all this. You had just went through a very shocking ordeal. Now that you feel stronger, try again. I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. Sometimes evidence is the hardest thing to get. But get what you can or have the lawyer request it. Tell the hospital your not after them, you're after the owner of the dog.
    11 hrs · Like · 3
  • Sue Palen Kelly, Arizona. Good ole Phoenix, Maricopa County- home of the infamous Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
    11 hrs · Like · 3
  • Sue Palen Olivia, the lawyer is requesting my hospital records. That is the reason I wanted to see them. Now all of my amendments are included in the records. I watched them get input into their system, and then waited and got a printout.
    10 hrs · Like · 2
  • Olivia Wyatt Oh that's good, make sure you have all the photos and any police reports, friends who will witness of your pain and suffering. The photos of your little dog who died. I'm sorry, I know this is so hard for you. When it's all over, you will know you did everything you could and that will help you to heal.
    10 hrs · Like · 3
  • Beth Kehoe Sue Palen, do you have your original invoices? Does you insurance company have any of the original records?
    10 hrs · Like · 3
  • Sue Palen Beth Kehoe, the atty is requesting the insurance records. He wants to know what it would have cost me if I was uninsured. I lost my EOBs, but I can request copies.
    10 hrs · Like · 2
  • Sue Palen Beth Kehoe, I paid the hospital a $65 copay only.
    10 hrs · Like · 1
  • Beth Kehoe Yes, the insurance company should have copies that are, hopefully, more detailed than the hospital's. I was also told to ask for the vet's actual notes when she examined my dog. Good luck, Sue!!
    10 hrs · Like · 3
  • Joanna McGinn lessons: complain of extreme pain , insist on heavy duty pain meds...get script filled but don't use the stuff esp w/o talking to your primary care giver... and keep them on hands for when they might be needed in an emergency... say like a tree falls on you or your family and the roads are closed... etc etc etc.
    10 hrs · Like · 4
  • Sue Palen Joanna McGinn, would have done that except I am in pain management. My pain management doc gets copies of all controlled substances that are prescribed to me. She is the only doc who I am allowed to get pain meds from. I would lose my pain management doc if I got a pain med script from anyone but her. I need her, I am in chronic pain all the freaking time. Level 4 is a great day for me.
    10 hrs · Like · 3
  • Sue Palen When I was taking Rocky for 2 walks per day, pain level was 2-3. 
    9 hrs · Like · 2
  • Kelly Reid Walls Arizona state law demands that biting dogs must be quarantine for 10 days. If the AC did not do this, they are violating state law.

    If the hospital failed to report the bite to AC, they, too, are violating state law.

    You need to meet with the patient advocate at the hospital.

    You need to calmly and, without emotion, point out the glaring inconsistencies in the record - to include their failure to properly document the bite incident as required by state law.

    Typically, hospitals fax these reports to the rabies control authorities. 

    Do an open records request for all bite reports submitted to the rabies control authority in your county.

    These reports are legal documents and they can not destroy them.
    8 hrs · Edited · Like · 4
  • Kelly Reid Walls You can also complete this bite report online:

    http://www.maricopa.gov/pets/or.aspx?ddlIssue=2

    Screenshot your submission.
    9 hrs · Like · 3
  • Kelly Reid Walls Can you call me tomorrow? Sending you my telephone number. The message may go to your "other" box.
    9 hrs · Like · 1
  • Drema Fowler sounds like lazy paperwork on the hospitals part
    9 hrs · Like
  • Sue Palen Kelly Reid Walls, I got your phone #. I will give you a call in the afternoon. I have a doc appt in the morning. Is that good for you?
    9 hrs · Like · 1
  • Kelly Reid Walls That's fine.
    8 hrs · Like

No comments:

Post a Comment